A root canal treatment is the perfect solution for nerve damage to a tooth due to infection or decay. It lets you keep your natural tooth and bypass the need for an artificial one. Root Canal treatment keeps the teeth functional and prevent further damage, provided some caution and care is exercised post the treatment. Following is a list of some things that should be done after a root canal treatment:
- Take Your Prescriptions Seriously: Your dentist will prescribe some antibiotics after your root canal treatment. These are to be taken religiously to prevent further infection in the tooth that has been treated.
- Observe Levels Of Pain: After a root canal treatment, you should keep assessing the levels of pain you experience to gauge whether you are heading in the right direction for recovery or not. Ideally, short bursts of pain will be experienced for a short duration after the root canal treatment. This is normal and can be treated with over-the-counter medications prescribed by your dentist. However, if the pain persists for a longer duration, contact your dentist immediately to investigate the reason behind it.
- Good Oral Hygiene: Maintaining good oral hygiene practices is probably one of the most important thing to do after a root canal treatment. It is extremely important to keep the area of the tooth that has undergone a root canal treatment very clean by brushing and flossing regularly.
- Avoid Pressure On The Tooth: After a root canal treatment, a tooth tends to be very fragile and tender. Pressure on tooth in the form of chewing and grinding should be avoided at all costs for the first few days post-treatment. Use a night guard to keep the teeth apart.
- Take Care Of Your Diet: Right after your root canal treatment, take extra caution to avoid hard or crunchy food. In fact, completely avoid chewing on the side of the root canal for a while or as prescribed by your dentist. At the same time, take care not to consume food and liquids that are either too hot or cold as they can irritate your otherwise sensitive tooth.
- Get A Crown Fixed: It is highly recommended to get a crown fixed over the tooth after a root canal. The reason for this is that a crown acts as a support for the tooth and keeps it more intact. Crowns also keep further complications at bay and improve functionality of the tooth.
- Regular Dental Visits: Do not skip on your visits to the dentist as and when scheduled as these visits are essential after a root canal. Regular cleanings and examinations by your dentist will prevent problems associated with your teeth in future.
For effective dental treatment, visit Enamel Dentistry at 2717 S Lamar Blvd #1086 Austin, TX 78704 or call (512) 717-5315.