Sedation Dentistry in Austin, TX
If you are nervous about an upcoming dental procedure, or you think that sedation may help you stay more comfortable in the dentist’s chair, we offer sedation dentistry for any treatment. “Laughing gas” is a minimal, effective method of sedation that will keep you calm and relaxed at our office without any major side effects. In fact, you’ll even be able to drive yourself home after your appointment and go about the rest of your day as you normally would.
What to Expect with Sedation
Laughing gas is one of the most popular methods of sedation because it’s safe, effective, and convenient. During your procedure, you’ll simply wear a comfortable mask and inhale the sedative, which will make you feel more comfortable and even giddy. Some patients describe the feeling as “floating” or “euphoric.” The effects of laughing gas last only about 5 minutes and once it wears off, you can drive yourself home from the office.
When to Consider Laughing Gas
- The main reason that patients choose sedation dentistry is to relieve stress and dental anxiety.
- If you have a strong gag reflex, laughing gas can help minimize this issue and make your treatment more comfortable.
- Some patients fear needles, and laughing gas can help ease your nerves if your procedure requires an injection.
- Sedation is also useful for keeping you comfortable in the dentist’s chair for longer periods of time.
- Laughing gas is often recommended for kids, as it helps them stay still and behave while they are undergoing dental procedures.
Will Sedation Dentistry Work for Me?
Most patients who are in good health can be sedated with laughing gas. However, there are a few conditions, such as pregnancy in the first trimester, emphysema, multiple sclerosis, and serious allergies (which could block up the nose) that may prevent you from treatment with laughing gas. During your appointment, our dentists will ask you questions about your health history and any allergies to determine whether this sedation option is right for you.